Monday, November 1, 2010

SeedFolk

Is anyone else concerned that the lot in seed folks was being used to dump dangerous chemicals and now people are eating the crops grown there?!

This story was very simplistic and the message was clear, people want to have value and worth. Even though the simplisticity of the story did come off as too stereotypical at times the idea of people wanting to actually make their own good mark on the world is something which I loved.

The story, seedfolks, started with a vietnamese girl planting lima beans in honor of her father. And it ends with her planting lima beans, once again too early in the year but we will see this as a success and not a failure of common sense. Once she planted the seeds the initial reaction was that she was up to no good. Which is a safe assumption in a vacant lot in the ghetto, but I loved the way that the accuser became the savior of her crop.

I also liked how not everyone had the noblest of intentions as they were farming. Several wanted to turn a profit such as the father with his lettuce and the kid who wanted to grow pot. However, everyone seemed to find some worth in their efforts. There is always a positive result when we try to make the world a better place. And that is what I took away from this book and even though in the real world it may not be as blatently obvious I believe this to be true.

The Multigenre part of the reading was a bit dull. I am trying to put together my stuff to hand in next week, but I am swamped with a million other projects. So, I am planning on pulling an all nighter tonight and knocking out everything that I need to do this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment