Sunday, October 10, 2010

My research for the multi-genre research paper is going quite well so far. I have 2 excellent sources that apply directly to the research paper portion and about four more for the comics and other writings the paper should include. My topic is going to be about the difficulty ESL students face in an English classroom because of the heavy usage of idioms in daily language. I was interested in this topic because as a former ESL teacher idioms have been the thorn in the side of my students once they became students in America.

The class I worked in Wednesday isn't really writing at all yet. They were copying one sentence which they saw on the board to a piece of paper and most of the students weren't even able to do this! I am not sure what to do for writing exercises in this course, most of the students can barely read let alone write a simple word. I hope that we are able to have some free writing craft lesson with the students eventually. I would like to see each of them write out a story they are excited to tell. And it almost pains me to say this, but I would be happy if they all even used creative spelling techniques. I know I know, this goes against the fabric of my being as a hyper critical teacher. However, they are honestly barely learning a thing now, and something is better than nothing. Once they get some momentum going in the right direction then we can direct them to learning the rules. But, most of the class is at a stand still.

The science interview went quite well, the students answered the questions in more or less the way I was hoping they would and I am sure that I will be able to build a highly effective science lesson from what I know. I am hoping to include a writing and reading lesson in with the science lesson. This is quite ambitious, especially because of how far behind the class is. But, it is possible.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear your research is going well! In regards to your classroom dilemma, maybe you could suggest to the teacher a creative writing session, that wouldn't be imposing. Introduce that you have been reading a lot about creative writing in our language arts class and would like to teach a craft lesson if permitted at some point. She what she says. Maybe you will have the opportunity to use that creative spelling you were skeptical about!

    ReplyDelete