Sunday, October 24, 2010

MGRP the process and the first readings

I officially hate my computer, or this site, or myself, where is my last post? Does everyone get that little pop up box which asks you to write what you see each time? I think my stuff only goes up half the time, it's probably some popup blocker setting I have on my computer.
Anyways, in summation of what I previously wrote. Wow, there are a lot of potential genre's to choose from. I know that I will do a comic because I found a cool site which allows you to use actual marvel character's to build a panel which I think will work out quite nicely for this assignment. But, besides that I feel, like many people, that there are too many options.
The MGRP went quite well despite changing my stance halfway through my research and having to rewrite the entire paper. But, that is the sign of good and open minded research in my opinion. When I started my paper it was my belief that slang had no place in the classroom. It was lazy speech and if children are learning to spell or use grammatical rules slang just confuses everyone. However, since slang and idiomatic expressions are a part of our everyday life it is something that every student will need to be familiar and fluent in if they are to succeed in this world.

There should however, be a clear defining line between when and when it is not appropriate to use slang. I don't really care if a certain way of speaking is the way that their parents speak. Students should not talk to one another like that in the classroom because it is not good preparation for the caliber of working environment that I would like for my students. I do not want to discredit or take away their cultural identity I just want to prepare them for being a sucessful member of society. Therefore, they will get more than enough practice at home speaking within their local vernacular. I am going to teach the "proper" way.

Anytime slang or idioms are used in the classroom it will be used to open up a lesson of what it means, why it means that, and where it can be used. To use these words carelessly just leads to misunderstandings and limits the potential for learning oppurtunities.

1 comment:

  1. Tying in your post to our readings this week, I think that slang can actually be considered just another form of poetic expression in many cases. I agree that "every student will need to be familiar and fluent in if they are to succeed in this world." It is a form of communication that has it's place in society, maybe simply as a shared vocabulary among certain groups, and I agree thatwe can't discount the use of slang and idioms. What we can do is realize when it is appropriate to use it. What may be considered acceptable in an email or text message may not be the wording you would choose to use in a research paper or resume.

    ReplyDelete